You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

The Saloon (Off Topic)
Moderated by Maffia, Elpea, LordKivlov

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.171 replies, Sticky
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » The Saloon (Off Topic) » From The Bathroom Wall: Saloon Book (and Film) Thread 2
Bottom
Topic Subject:From The Bathroom Wall: Saloon Book (and Film) Thread 2
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4 5 ··· 7  Next Page »
Von Mackensens Hat
Skirmisher
(id: DrNick)
posted 05-05-10 12:32 PM EDT (US)         
So Dio informed me on Facebook that the old book thread was destickied. I went to post in it and ask why and then found out it was archived as well.

Pretty sure that's some major bullshit right there. So I started this one. I expect it to be stickied ASAP. TIA.

Content:

So what are you reading right now?

I'm rereading Democracy by Joan Didion. It's a book with great atmosphere and a lot of fun Politics vis a vis the end of the Vietnam war. I highly recommend it.

Dr Nick
I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
AuthorReplies:
Meteora
Skirmisher
posted 07-22-10 01:10 AM EDT (US)     51 / 171       
can we all also try to get a sort of book club thing going on where we all read a book around the same time and discuss it? I know, gay, but hey.
totally down for that, gay or not!

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Reinfire
Skirmisher
posted 07-22-10 07:54 AM EDT (US)     52 / 171       
Chapterhouse: Dune

Before that I read (big surprise):
- Dune
- Dune Messiah
- Children of Dune
- God-Emperor of Dune
- Heretics of Dune

Reinfire
--Retired Scenario Designer--
Everybody needs to beleive in something. I beleive I will have another beer
Von Mackensens Hat
Skirmisher
posted 07-22-10 08:18 PM EDT (US)     53 / 171       
Dune was the best one. Then Dune: Messiah. After that I liked God-Emperor of Dune and then Children of Dune. The last two were pretty terrible imo.

Oh and don't read the ones his son wrote. Totally not worth it.

Dr Nick
Elpea
Hal
(id: lp_usa)
posted 07-24-10 10:01 AM EDT (US)     54 / 171       
okay so my first suggestion for a book isn't a novel, but I think it'd be interesting given our backgrounds. The book is Absence of Mind and it was featured on the Daily Show some weeks ago. Here's what it's about:
In this ambitious book, acclaimed writer Marilynne Robinson applies her astute intellect to some of the most vexing topics in the history of human thought—science, religion, and consciousness. Crafted with the same care and insight as her award-winning novels, Absence of Mind challenges postmodern atheists who crusade against religion under the banner of science. In Robinson’s view, scientific reasoning does not denote a sense of logical infallibility, as thinkers like Richard Dawkins might suggest. Instead, in its purest form, science represents a search for answers. It engages the problem of knowledge, an aspect of the mystery of consciousness, rather than providing a simple and final model of reality.

By defending the importance of individual reflection, Robinson celebrates the power and variety of human consciousness in the tradition of William James. She explores the nature of subjectivity and considers the culture in which Sigmund Freud was situated and its influence on his model of self and civilization. Through keen interpretations of language, emotion, science, and poetry, Absence of Mind restores human consciousness to its central place in the religion-science debate.
(20100605)
http://www.amazon.com/Absence-Mind-Dispelling-Inwardness-Lectures/dp/0300145187

Anyone up for it?

Von Mackensens Hat
Skirmisher
posted 07-24-10 10:35 AM EDT (US)     55 / 171       
I saw that episode and was intrigued. I'll pick it up and read it.

Dr Nick
Meteora
Skirmisher
posted 07-24-10 12:41 PM EDT (US)     56 / 171       
yeah i'll read it too.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Thomas Sterns
Skirmisher
posted 07-28-10 04:13 PM EDT (US)     57 / 171       
Probably won't read it. Isn't at the used bookstore.

I finished Don Quixote, The Sun Also Rises, The Tempest, Pygmallion, and A Doll House this past week. Don Quixote was fantastic, I've seen the musical Lord of La Mancha three times, and it's a great musical, but man, Cervantes just has excellent diction. It could've been the translator, but really I'm going to chalk this up to Cervantes skill.

The Sun Also Rises by Hemingway was also brilliant. I love Hemingway, I love post-Great War writings they're so elegant in their simplicity, and this was no exception. This book, like A Farewell to Arms, is loads better than The Old Man, and The Sea. I also think that his dialogue in this book is slightly more enthralling than in A Farewell to Arms.

The Tempest is good aswell. I feel I'll become redundant if I keep breaking down all the books, but know the other two are pretty ace likewise.
Shrink
on the trender train
posted 07-28-10 04:41 PM EDT (US)     58 / 171       
I might join in the book club if you get to an interesting-sounding novel

If i can be annoying and prejudiced and dismissive, and i can, that chosen book looks really terrible based on the amazon reviews (especially the 'most helpful' 1 star review) and also based on the strawman used against dawkins in the throwaway blurb (people saying dawkins says this and he's wrong and actually it's this without even knowing what dawkins says is so annoying i mean christ what utter nonsense dawkins does NOT suggest scientific reasoning denotes a sense of logical infallibility and he DOES agree that "in its purest form science represents a search for answers" so that writer should shut up)

Shrink
on the trender train
posted 07-28-10 04:43 PM EDT (US)     59 / 171       
I mean maybe the book is great and enlightening and i might well find it really interesting if i read it but i never will based on the bullshit in the blurb thanks stupid publisher

have fun though i'll be back for the next book when youre done maybe

Meteora
Skirmisher
posted 07-28-10 11:18 PM EDT (US)     60 / 171       
http://www.amazon.com/Absolutely-True-Diary-Part-Time-Indian/dp/0316013692/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1280373290&sr=1-1

just read this book by accident (my sister had to read it for school and i just picked it up and next thing i know i was half way through it) and it was absolutely excellent. i had pretty low expectations for it because his book for short stories (tonto and lone ranger) was pretty boring and terrible and what not, but this book was great. A bit short, but i loved every minute of it. Still pretty angsty at times but with the right amount of humor and wit to make it work. Totally surprised by how much i loved it.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Elpea
Hal
(id: lp_usa)
posted 08-06-10 00:14 AM EDT (US)     61 / 171       
^ well speaking of young adult books that are excellent, have you read the Book Thief?

Meteora
Skirmisher
posted 08-06-10 01:21 AM EDT (US)     62 / 171       
never heard of it.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Meteora
Skirmisher
posted 08-18-10 02:06 AM EDT (US)     63 / 171       
the girl with the dragon tattoo was pretty good. the beginning was really slow. i thought it would never get interesting. the end was just as bad because it went on for a hundred pages after everything important was resolved.

also the way the writer wrote about technology was downright obnoxious. did you really have to give me the complete specs of the 2001 Apple Powerbook when you told us the girl was getting a new laptop? couldn't you just say she was getting a fancy laptop? or describe specifically that a kid got an iPod, 'which is a portable media player the size of a cigarette pack that could hold his (or was it her, i can't remember) extensive cd collection'? i'd think he was paid by apple but he did it with other technology, and also why would apple pay for ads in a medium that will reach most consumers long after the ads become irrelevant? so i really don't know why he insisted on being so obnoxious about it.

but anyway aside from those complaints I really enjoyed the book. I actually have a few more complaints but i don't want to distract from the fact that i really did like the book a lot. I couldn't put it down once i got past the boring beginning, and i rarely get that way about books.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
oliver
Skirmisher
posted 08-18-10 03:52 AM EDT (US)     64 / 171       
I haven't read that book, Mete, which is apparently up the with high treason and quitting Facebook in Sweden. You know it's a trilogy, right? Could be why the ending was a bit stretched out in your taste.

Currently reading "Wuthering Heights" by Emily Brontė. I was bored and in the mood for a classic, so we'll see how it goes. The language is a bit "thick" for me, but it could be the translator's fault.
General_II
Skirmisher
posted 08-18-10 09:06 AM EDT (US)     65 / 171       
In The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo I was under the impression that the author was going for a sort of Tom Clancy approach to technology, but ended up going a bit too far and sounding stupid since we all know what an ipod is (though seriously, he was reading product descriptions, "state of the art nvidia graphics card"), while in Clancy's case we may not be familiar with different military acronyms and technologies (not that this is necessarily a good thing either).
Von Mackensens Hat
Skirmisher
posted 08-18-10 11:49 AM EDT (US)     66 / 171       
The language is a bit "thick" for me, but it could be the translator's fault.
Why don't you read it in English? You seem to read it just fine...

Dr Nick
Von Mackensens Hat
Skirmisher
posted 08-25-10 11:18 AM EDT (US)     67 / 171       
So I didn't get the book we were supposed to get and am now reading Pigmy by Chuck Palahanuik. As with all his books it vascilates between extremely funny and extremely disturbing.

Dr Nick
Thomas Sterns
Skirmisher
posted 08-26-10 02:33 PM EDT (US)     68 / 171       
Palahniuk can eat a donk. I feel like he's one of those writers that college kids just goo their shit over because his writing style is 'edgy,' and 'disturbing.' It was alright in Fight Club, I was fine with it the first time I read it. Then I moved on to Lullaby, and, boy, was that an atrocity. Exact same tone, exact same diction, exact same drivel. It's just boring. His style, and plot just fall over upon themselves creating this amalgamation of shit. Even Fight Club wasn't that great, it's the only example I can think of where the movie is truly better than the book. The only plus side about the book is that it delves more heavily into the fact that Fight Club is a love story which the movie does, but I think most audience members miss. Also, Palahniuk is a douchecanoe. I'm pretty sure some reviewer gave him a bad review, and his response basically said that they were a shitty reviewer, and he'd like to see them write a novel that sold as many copies as his.

Currently reading David Foster Wallace's Brief Interviews with Hideous Men. I kind of watched the movie a handful of months ago(it was director by The Office's John Krasinski), but I honestly can't remember much about it. A guy I met at orientation recommended the book to me, and so far it's okay. One of the chapters called 'The Depressed Person' was quite the handful, and reading it I felt like I was trekking through the Sahara barefoot. The chapters preceding it, and postceding it were quite pleasant though. I'm about halfway through, and I think I feel the same way about it that I feel about Dave Egger's A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius. Essentially: Really good book, but there are a few spots that seem to just last, and last, and it gets to the point where it is truly unbearable.

Also reading Spoon River Anthology, and re-reading Julius Caesar.

Oh, and Aldous Huxley's Island should probably be a reading requirement for most high school English classes. If you haven't read it yet, I'd recommend it over any Vonnegut(who I hold in much esteem). It proposes the most darling utopian society. Thomas More would most definitely agree.

"In my beginning is my end. In my end is my beginning."
Von Mackensens Hat
Skirmisher
posted 08-27-10 11:46 AM EDT (US)     69 / 171       
Palahniuk can eat a donk. I feel like he's one of those writers that college kids just goo their shit over because his writing style is 'edgy,' and 'disturbing.' It was alright in Fight Club, I was fine with it the first time I read it. Then I moved on to Lullaby, and, boy, was that an atrocity. Exact same tone, exact same diction, exact same drivel. It's just boring. His style, and plot just fall over upon themselves creating this amalgamation of shit. Even Fight Club wasn't that great, it's the only example I can think of where the movie is truly better than the book. The only plus side about the book is that it delves more heavily into the fact that Fight Club is a love story which the movie does, but I think most audience members miss. Also, Palahniuk is a douchecanoe. I'm pretty sure some reviewer gave him a bad review, and his response basically said that they were a shitty reviewer, and he'd like to see them write a novel that sold as many copies as his.
I actually kind of agree with you. Especially re: Lulliby. I do think he has other good books. He just wrote most of them before Fight Club got famous. I think he spent a long tmie riding his own coat tails.

Pigmy def has different diction though. It's told from the point of view of a North Korean midget with limited English who has infiltrated the US under the guise of a foreign exchange program.

Dr Nick
hoNo
Skirmisher
posted 08-28-10 02:29 AM EDT (US)     70 / 171       
reading Poe. What are his best stories?
oliver
Skirmisher
posted 08-28-10 04:43 AM EDT (US)     71 / 171       
Why don't you read it in English? You seem to read it just fine...
Nevermind, I finished it. I'll have plenty of time to read English-language books in London.

As a small review I'd say I understand why it is a classic. The emphasis is on characters, psychology and intrigue, not "flower language" or cliffhangers and other cheap tropes. It wasn't as cruel and pessimistic as I thought it would be, although it's certainly not a sappy rom com. Without saying too much I left the last page with a smile on my face. 8/10. Recommended.
Von Mackensens Hat
Skirmisher
posted 08-30-10 11:44 AM EDT (US)     72 / 171       
reading Poe. What are his best stories?
I've always had a soft spot in my heart for "The Pit and the Pendulum" but his best is probably "The Tell tale Heart" or "The Cask of Amantillado" or maybe even "Masque of the Red Death".

Dr Nick
Sad_But_True
Skirmisher
posted 08-30-10 05:19 PM EDT (US)     73 / 171       
I've always had a soft spot in my heart for "The Pit and the Pendulum" but his best is probably "The Tell tale Heart" or "The Cask of Amantillado" or maybe even "Masque of the Red Death".
This.
Von Mackensens Hat
Skirmisher
posted 09-08-10 10:06 PM EDT (US)     74 / 171       
METE!

I saw you finished A Farewell to Arms. Is this recent? Care to elaborate on the 4 stars? (I really like this book and wouldn't mind discussing it a bit).

Dr Nick
Thomas Sterns
Skirmisher
posted 09-10-10 10:34 AM EDT (US)     75 / 171       
A Farewell To Arms is one of my favourites as well. The book is so frickin' beautiful. Hemingway's prose is at its best, imho.

Currently reading Brief Interviews With Hideous Men which is delightfully post-modernist at some points, and tragically post-modernist at others. Reading time is probs going to start to dwindle though as classes are getting into full swing, and my jewish studies class has mostly seniors in it plus a couple of grad students, and a master student in it so I'll probably have to work pretty damn hard on that, and my anthropology seminar is going to be quite the handful as well since we need to write an ethnography which I hadn't even heard of until Wednesday. College.

"In my beginning is my end. In my end is my beginning."
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4 5 ··· 7  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames