New features from grnreader
- loading invisible meshes (check FD Vertex Library)
- importing bones
- fixed faces
- vertex weighing
- loading animations
- 3ds Max 7 or later
- AoE3ED to extract .gr2 files from game archives
Copy 'grnreaderX.ms' and 'granny2.dll' (from your AoE3 path) to the same directory of 'grnreaderX.exe'
How to use
drop GR2 files directly on 'grnreaderX.exe' or execute it from cmd: > grnreaderX model.gr2 animation.gr2
Changes in 1.2
- fixed texture duplicates
- slate material editor support
- added and updated error messages
Changes in 1.21
- fixed a bug which can cause an error working with earlier versions of 3ds Max
- a new view will no longer be created in slate material editor if the import script has no materials
Changes in 1.3
- introduced plugin mode for directly loading GR2 files from 3ds Max UI
- if no files are dropped to the program, a file dialog will be opened (multiple selection allowed)
1. Copy grnreaderX.ms to <3dsMaxRoot>\scripts\startup to activate the mode
2. Open 3ds Max and go to Utilites>MAXScript and select 'grnreaderX' from the drop down list
3. Click the button 'Setup' to locate 'grnreaderX.exe'
- click the button 'Setup' whenever you change the location of 'grnreaderX.exe'
- checking 'Start from slider' will import animation from the current time of 'Time Slider'
Hee great script, thanks for this but it's only working with buildings?. I currently use 3ds max 2015 and you said that this script works with 3ds max 7 or later. So that can't be the problem then. but everythime i put a file gr2 (animation file) in 3ds max 2015 i get this error!
then I press oke and then this appears:
I press oke again and nothing get's imported.
So what can I do to fix this?
Posted on 11/24/17 @ 04:44 PM
Hi, thanks for this great script. I have referenced it in a recent guide I wrote on modeling for Age of Mythology (in a section on porting from aoe3).
I have had success using the script to port dozens of units over but unfortunately, I think I'm experiencing the same issue as Wollie for certain units. It would seem that for some objects, for example the Bison, the mesh and rig import without issue but the animation gr2's cause Max to bug out for a second and then import the animated bones in a vertical position outside the mesh. Obviously the animations don't work when this happens. Here is a picture: https://www.dropbox.com/s/msuylj9a8zscuwo/aoe3%20import%20problem.jpg?dl=0
For some units, such as the Bison, all of the animations seem to be affected by this. For others, only a portion of the animations are affected. I also noticed that for some animals, importing animations onto an incorrect mesh causes the exact same problem but for some animals, there is only one mesh so I think I'm using the correct one.
I'm using 3ds Max 2016 and the most recent version of grnreaderX. I have all files installed in the directories as instructed. I have tried dragging and dropping the animation gr2s onto the grnreaderx exe but the results are the same. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
[Edited on 12/20/17 @ 07:24 AM]
Posted on 04/03/20 @ 01:20 AM
Don't work for me.
(3ds max 2020)
Posted on 04/17/20 @ 03:11 AM
Now I see what works perfectly, only some models are not open. But I love it!