Drummer & Flag-bearer Unit Mod - v. 1.7
Re-Creation and Extension of Alyoshenka’s ‘Extended Infantry v1.4’ Mod (see more about this below).
Added: Russian Blockhouse.
Made fully compliant with AoE III v. 1.07
This Mod File-pack is Identical to the Previous, excepting ONLY that the Mod. is here brought up to AoE III v. 1.7 compliance.
This Mod. for AOE III owes debt to Alyoshenka, who’s earlier Mod. (“Extended Infantry v. 1.4”) inspired another look at how it works – and why his Mod no longer does.
Still, without his earlier Mod, I’d have never known-of nor thought of adding the Drummer and Flag bearer units as trainable (abstract infantry) units for SP skirmishes played on RMS Maps.
This Mod. adds the Drummer-(boy) and the Flag bearer units as Trainable infantry-type units which can be trained like any other unit in either the Barracks or the Russian Blockhouse.
We did make these units available to the Russians as well, which Alyoshenka had excluded in his earlier release (v. 1.4).
With this inclusion of the Russian Blockhouse – to the best of our view and knowledge these units should now be available to all the Civs.
These units are essentially little more than ‘eye candy.’ They don’t add anything to game-play per se and are of course non-combatants.
They are however human, and can easily be killed, in which case they fall, bleed, and ‘fade-away’ just like all other unit types.
What they ‘Do’ & the animations:
The Flag-bearer carries a solid-colored battle-flag and automatically takes position at the head of a grouped body of ranged infantry units (as does the drummer). The flag does ‘blow in the breeze’ and is animated – both while standing still as well as while on the march.
The Drummer plays (a march no-doubt!) on his drum while marching (not audible), and does not play while standing at rest. At rest however, he does occasionally lift the drum up to inspect it – perhaps looking at the coils beneath the snare, or checking the drum-head… after which, he returns it to its normal position. (Very cute!).
In my opinion, they add a lot to the over-all experience.
It certainly ups the challenge for the ‘Good’ &nd conscientious Commander or Field Marshal in how s/he employs his/her infantry – if there is a wish to preserve the lives of as many as possible from engagement to engagement, and particularly trying to keep your drummer(s) and flag-bearer(s) alive.
We have not changed Alyoshenka’s max limit for either type, which remains 15 per type at any given time. This limit seems more than reasonable, and we see no reason to alter it (30 of both combined at any one time).
Each unit trained takes one unit space (e.g. a single Musketeer).
Here are just a few screenshots to show what the units look like (‘on the field’).
Installation Instructions *
1) Be sure to Back-up both of your files – “proto.xml” and “techtree.xml” – both of which you’ll find in your default installation directory in the path: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires III\data
2) Unzip this D/L zip – (‘DrumFlag_Mod_for_v.1.07.zip’) to any Temporary folder.
3) Copy or Cut the two files - “proto.xml” and “techtree.xml” – from the Folder Named – “Mod v1.07 (Proto version 6)” – and Paste them to the same directory shown above in step 1).
(C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires III\data ).
4) Cut or Copy the Folder named – “art” – to your Installation Directory in the default path:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires III
5) IF for whatever reason you’re uncertain about good Back-up procedures, or you’re in such a hurry you forget Step 1 above, don’t worry – the folder named, “Default v1.07 (Proto version 6, backup)” contains the backup files for you already. Just Please do Note that these files are for AoE III patched to version 1.07 If you have any earlier version of AoE III, these files will be out of sync with your installation. Backing up your (to be)-Modified Files is always Good practice …
To Uninstall this Mod. should you ever have that desire, simply Copy & Paste either Your Backup files - “proto.xml” and “techtree.xml” – or those of the same name from the folder “Default v1.07 (Proto version 6, backup)” (as in Step 5 above) – to this same directory to overwrite these files in - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires III\data
|Author||Reviews ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )|
I modified some archives of this MOD being able to adapt it for TAD version along with another MODs (British Riflemen, Extreme Fortifications, players colours, and I put grenadiers to the Spanish civ) and found the error in the file techtreey.xml of the folder Data (C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games \ Age of Empires III \ dates).
The error was that Barracks were not enabled to train to the drummer and flagbearer units. But I found another error. Where is file DDT of the FLAGBEARER unit? I looked for it in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games \ Age of Empires III \ art \ units \ squad but I didn't find it. Can you upload it to be able to install it?
Sorry for my poor English , I am Chilean.
Can you help me?
|Art and Sound||4.0|