Modding Discussions
Moderated by Alexastor, MosheLevi, Mister SCP

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Age Of Empires III: The Ancient Age
« Previous Page  1 ··· 9 10 11 12 13 ··· 14  Next Page »
posted 10-03-07 02:45 PM EDT (US)   
The Ancient Age is a Total Conversion Mod for Age Of Empires III TAD about the Ancient Times, which will be made by Tilanus Commodor & Ca Putt. Almost everyone of us started just with a minor basic knowledge, but we are developing ourselves. The Ancient Age is not an Age Of Mythology or Age Of Empires I Remake. Nevertheless the Age Of Empires Series is among other RTS-Games a true inspiration for us.

It is our aim to include five new civilisations: The Carthaginians, Celts, Hellenes, Persians and Romans. Besides we are willed to develop an unique gameplay, which will be a good contrast to other mods and the original game. This includes for example a new building & unit system. Since the modification's setting takes place in a completely different age you can expect a lot of new material. More details will be revealed when the time is better.

» Media «

The Romans

Bonus: Cheaper fortifications, 1 Hastatus/Barrack
Archaic Unit: Spearman 'Voluntarius'
Campaign: Legio VI Ferrata
Strengths:
Infantry & Siege equipment and versatility
Good Commanders
Weaknesses:
Medium Cavalry & Fleet
Expensive Archer support

Eques, Age II - Roman Lancer, good against light units, suitable for raids
Princeps, Age III 1st Upgrade of the Hastatus; Heavy Melee Infantry with ranged attack

The Hellenes

Bonus: Free Villagers & Scholars by Age Up
Archaic Unit: Slinger 'Sphendonotes'
Campaign: Macedonians
Strengths:
Balanced Army
Economy & Technology
Weaknesses:
Slow Core Army
Average Military Improvements
Realization of 'The Ancient Age'
To realize a huge project like The Ancient Age an active team is absolutely needed. Even if there is already a new active team, we'd like to extent the amount of workers to speed up the process of production. Therefore we are looking for new ambitious members, who want to learn fast and work practically.

We appreciate every new interested request, even if we have to refuse some people, they tried it and had the good intention to help us.
The more people work for our project, the faster will we finish it, simpliest logic, isn't it? So take your chance and prevent stagnation or a long periods of waiting. We support everyone who »really« wants to help us and is not just taking a look for two weeks. Thanks.

Free Jobs:
Texturers [no limit]
Coders [max.2]
Graphic Artists [no limit]
Concept Artists [no limit]
Co-Balancers [max.2]

Terms of Admission
Will to improve your abilities/will to work alone and with the Team
Appropriate expenditure of time for this project
Communicative availability (do not ignore PMs, MSN messages or emails)
some background knowledge
MSN

»Team«
We do that mod alone.

[This message has been edited by Tilanus Commodor (edited 04-27-2009 @ 04:11 PM).]

Replies:
posted 05-12-09 01:00 PM EDT (US)     251 / 332  
Great work! (as always )
I like it a lot how do you design these shields.
(This is laurel on the shields, isn't it?)
posted 05-13-09 03:11 AM EDT (US)     252 / 332  
Yes, it's a laurel.

You can discuss about the Medium Cavalry term. It's not that clear for Romans, especially because other features of TAA are influencing this situation. What is heavy or strong cavalry?

Roles of cavalry can be different. Therefore "Medium" should be understood as some kind of a regulating term. Roman cavalry has strong aspects, but also weak points like costs for example and it is also not said that these are always the same. That's why I said other TAA features are playing an important role. The ages and units in TAA are more challenging than in AoE3, because they can be so different to each other, even if they stick to the same line. The Imperial Eques is an excellent example for this mechanism, but stay cool, we're not that strict with this idea, the main development goes upwards.

» The Ancient Age | Napoleonic Era «

» Modding is art! «
posted 05-16-09 04:27 AM EDT (US)     253 / 332  
Just wanted to say, the screenshots look great.

I'd love to see the Ancient civilizations in the mod.
posted 05-16-09 11:31 AM EDT (US)     254 / 332  
Thank you.
posted 06-26-09 07:51 PM EDT (US)     255 / 332  

[click]
»Roman Archaic Age«

You see a Roman-Etruscan town in the first age (which is called 'Archaic Age' in TAA) with Houses, Barrack, Market, Town Center, Temple, male and female Citizens, Etruscan Hoplitai, Voluntarii, a Priest and a Scout. Etruscan Hoplitai are only available in Age I (so called "Archaic Unit Type 2"), while the weaker Voluntarii ("Archaic Unit Type 1") are available in all ages and can also be upgraded.

btw we are looking for ambitious drawers! (Unit portraits)

» Modding is art! «
posted 06-26-09 11:18 PM EDT (US)     256 / 332  
Aaah! Me wants play!
It looks really good, it's got the great feel of playing a game like AoE1 (although the buildings look a liiitle inconsistent). Can't wait to check this mod out .

Lead designer for The War of the Triple Alliance Mod
"It's a trap, for noobs. Looks like you're a noob, congratulations. Read the instructions this time."
-Lord Tahattus
"Most SDers don't have any knowledge on scripting. We do. You can impress them but not us."
-invent00r
posted 06-27-09 11:30 AM EDT (US)     257 / 332  
This looks just great!

I was wondering about the temple: does it have a special function or is it pretty much the same concept as the churches in AOE3?
posted 06-27-09 12:32 PM EDT (US)     258 / 332  
@DayOfTheNinja - inconsistent, that's also what Xastor said and other modders will most probably tell me as well. However, I like the variation, it looks realistic. I'm not a big fan of unifications.

@Jeff - The temple is more comparable to a fire pit, which has a health aura and allows the training of priests and religious techs.

» Modding is art! «

[This message has been edited by Tilanus Commodor (edited 06-27-2009 @ 12:32 PM).]

posted 06-28-09 02:14 PM EDT (US)     259 / 332  
Lol, ok. Maybe you could group different types of buildings? e.g. Military buildings look alike, economic ones do, etc?

"It's a trap, for noobs. Looks like you're a noob, congratulations. Read the instructions this time."
-Lord Tahattus
"Most SDers don't have any knowledge on scripting. We do. You can impress them but not us."
-invent00r
posted 06-28-09 02:47 PM EDT (US)     260 / 332  
TC and military or tech buildings should have nicer stone walls and tile roofs. These are public works or state buildings which need to stand in as defensive positions.

Houses and agricultural buildings are OK if they are unmortared stone and thatch roof. Age 4 you may want to let some houses of some civs have nice tiled roofs. Other civs like the Celts or Germans you can let them have steeper, but still thatched or slatted, roofs.

The temple's colours seem a bit vivid or cartoony for the surrounding area. Most temple facades were indeed painted, but the pigments used were mostly iron oxides (rust red and yellow ochre) and copper sulfates and oxides (green, blue) and carbon black. Some whitewashing was applied in later ages (chalk, gypsum, or white lead).

Crunkatog on ESO
Bart331 balance suggestion: aztec: remove civ
Voltiguer: Ender, Sioux in 1.04 will be a top civ, no matter how many layers of Sioux goggles you put on
schildpad on Elephants: ...their mansabdar unit sucks so hard it looks like a black hole
Crunkatog on Steam.
posted 06-28-09 03:47 PM EDT (US)     261 / 332  
TC and military or tech buildings should have nicer stone walls and tile roofs. These are public works or state buildings which need to stand in as defensive positions.
They have and I agree, but not with everything. As you can see most of the important buildings have roof tiles, while others don't have roof tiles at all, they are not nice, but you gotta see this in relation to what comes further ages (I know you can't, but just believe me that there'll be different roof tiles). I neglected the stone walls a bit, but I don't think it's a big problem. This would result in a building set that has always two different styles and this in every age that changes building textures.
Houses and agricultural buildings are OK if they are unmortared stone and thatch roof. Age 4 you may want to let some houses of some civs have nice tiled roofs. Other civs like the Celts or Germans you can let them have steeper, but still thatched or slatted, roofs.

Thanks for the tip. =)
The temple's colours seem a bit vivid or cartoony for the surrounding area. Most temple facades were indeed painted, but the pigments used were mostly iron oxides (rust red and yellow ochre) and copper sulfates and oxides (green, blue) and carbon black. Some whitewashing was applied in later ages (chalk, gypsum, or white lead).
I agree with the stone wall colour of the temple, I might darken it a bit and give it a slightly red colour tone. However, actually most of the non-roof parts of the Temple were white. I know the colour rules for temples, the special thing with white is just that it has been mixed with other colours relatively late. However, white was already known to the people in the stone age.

» Modding is art! «

[This message has been edited by Tilanus Commodor (edited 06-28-2009 @ 03:48 PM).]

posted 07-02-09 01:25 PM EDT (US)     262 / 332  
@As_Saffah

Exclusive material, only (cause of) for you!
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii201/TheAncientAge/InternPics/tctiles.png
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii201/TheAncientAge/InternPics/newage1temple.png

Probably we won't give houses roof tiles though, but we're discussing the TC and I like the new Temple. Maybe I'm changing the architrave scene. =)

» Modding is art! «
posted 07-04-09 01:25 AM EDT (US)     263 / 332  
Looks great! Thanks Saffah !

-Lord Tahattus
-invent00r
posted 07-08-09 07:44 AM EDT (US)     264 / 332  

Hey ho,

I guess the hardcore fans of TAA already knew that screen before, cause I've uploaded it weeks ago as a secret bonus screenshot. Nevertheless, I'm gonna show all the other ones my dirty little secret

»Praetorian Guard«

The Roman Praetorian Guard is one of three mercenaries who is only available for Romans. Praetorians are "Guards", in TAA terms this means they counter other mercenaries. Furthermore they are "special" mercenaries, which means that they can be upgraded. Praetoriani do have a lot of hitpoints, are very strong in melee (+60%mr), but are vulnerable for ranged attacks.

And yupp, the cuirass is drawn by hand/cursor

» Modding is art! «
posted 07-08-09 01:41 PM EDT (US)     265 / 332  
Those tiled roofs look tight! The Temple looks better too. It looks more like a temple from the mid to late Republican era in Rome or the late classical Attic style, than age 1 building.

Age 1 Roman and Greek temples may have been flat-roofed crypts containing or built around a holy spring or natural altar stone. They may have been built out of rough-hewn sandstone or limestone, or unmortared stones built in a round enclosure. Early ones looked like vaults. 2nd or 3rd age temples acquired portico, colonnades, etc. in increasing orders as time went on. (Or as temples were burned down by civil unrest, and rebuilt by later rulers.)

The role of the temple transitioned from vault of sacred items dedicated to a god and accessed only by priests, to a multi-use building (z.B. temple of Saturn was also the treasury of the Roman state and its archives) accessed by a variety of different priests, clerics, magistrates, and officials, to a truly public venue for worship. Hence more porticoes, more colonnades, more and larger buildings and outbuildings, a small garrison, etc. so that the business of government and the actual sacred precinct overlapped less and less.

The old Caesar-saying is generally true: it went from being a wood and reed city to a brick & whitewash one, and then a mostly marble & gilded one. And the brick parts were largely of yellow or tan brick, not the bright red bricks we have today as a result of being close to high iron content sediments. Copper was plentiful in Italia, Greece, and the horn of Africa, so many of a temple's fixtures were made of bronze, dating back to traditions borne out in the Bronze Age and loath to change just because 1000 years had increased access to iron. IN fact many of Rome's earliest temples were largely the product of Etruscan artisans: votive statues, temple stonework, bronzework for doors and window gratings, bronze or bronze-lidded arces and scrinia for holding sacred relics, sacred weapons and armour that could not be of iron for religious reasons were made of gilded bronze (Apollo) or tin (Jupiter). The earliest buildings therefore looked much like what they were: sacred vaults, and were heavily ornamented but not with stone.

anyway, you've made me hit an artery, I think. I've been waiting for an opportunity to put my Greek and Classics degree to use. At any rate the existing AOE3 bank building texture seems to me the best for the brick + whitewash buildings - compare with the early Imperial Temple of Jupiter here and the appearance of later age marble buildings goes well with the texture you have for your temple and columns, as seen in the 3rd century Temple of Saturn. The Parthenon would also fall in this category as it's a huge complex with 2 layers of colonnades and a separate area for the vaults and the public observance of sacrifices and state holidays.

I would totally rip the original Bank building texture for mid-late Roman Republican municipal buildings and temples. I would also rip the Taj Mahal texture for Classical Greek and Imperial Roman major temples. The Aztec unmortared stone cottage is a good texture to recolor and use as the unmortared yellow sandstone rounded vaults of earliest Roman and Mycenaean temples, homes, and low fortifications.
In the original European HC you can change the color of your HC tech buildings, New World Trade Center, etc. I would rip most of those and use them for different buildings in different civs and ages. For instance, the tawny yellow and light terra cotta brick textures for the Mediterranean building custom skins is perfect for a variety of Roman, Greek, and other Mediterranean buildings. The darker brick and stone ones (also European fort) seem perfect for use on buildings weathered by excessive rain or wind, like the Pharos or heavy fortifications in Europe, on the Limes, etc.

Sadly Tarquin's original Roman temple buildings and stuff didn't survive under all the renovations, rebuildings, periodic dictatorships and Roman civil wars. That would have been ideal to use as an example of age 2 models.

Crunkatog on ESO
Voltiguer: Ender, Sioux in 1.04 will be a top civ, no matter how many layers of Sioux goggles you put on
schildpad on Elephants: ...their mansabdar unit sucks so hard it looks like a black hole
Crunkatog on Steam.

[This message has been edited by As_Saffah (edited 07-08-2009 @ 01:47 PM).]

posted 07-08-09 01:57 PM EDT (US)     266 / 332  
Erm, just curious, casually you're not interested in doing these buildings for me, are you?

I've to admit, for a moment after reading your post I felt incredibly stupid. *spastically clapping hands for you* This was great! ^^

But seriously, it'd be better for me if you'd sum it all up in key words and since you seem to be full of knowledge about architraves, stones and columns, I offer you to let it explode on all temples in all ages for all civs. Just after the quotation: "Once wiseacre, always wiseacre." Now beat that, Sir!

» Modding is art! «
posted 07-08-09 06:12 PM EDT (US)     267 / 332  
But seriously, it'd be better for me if you'd sum it all up in key words and since you seem to be full of knowledge about architraves, stones and columns, I offer you to let it explode on all temples in all ages for all civs. Just after the quotation: "Once wiseacre, always wiseacre." Now beat that, Sir!
I know I have a big mouth and love to rant on topics like this. Problem is I have no one hereabouts to hit me on the head and say "Stuff a sock in it already, Saffah!" I hhonestly hope I haven't made anyone SERIOUSLY feel bad. You are the one who has turned the ideas into a real, playable game, and I am just hopping a ride.

I'd love to help with texturing. sadly, I've a computer that's dying. That said, I do have Photoshop and know how to use alpha channels and that sort. I could make you some skins, textures, etc. and send them back to you to incorporate in the game. Lemme look at your civs and buildings, ages, whatnot and if you're still interested in seeing some of my work, let me know. As far as the buildings through the ages are concerned, some will definitely need new .gr2 models - many early Roman and Greek ones were round - and we've hit a wall as far as that's concerned.

Crunkatog on ESO
Crunkatog on Steam.

[This message has been edited by As_Saffah (edited 07-08-2009 @ 06:16 PM).]

posted 07-08-09 09:02 PM EDT (US)     268 / 332  
I am amazed at your wonderful textures.
I once thought that you will fail in this MOD because to realise an ancient picture in AOE3 is how an impossible job,but you did it very well.
I hope to see more great thins then.
posted 07-09-09 10:56 AM EDT (US)     269 / 332  
@A Real Chinese - Thanks! It's not easy though, but I really like this kind of a challenge. =)

@As_Saffah - No no, don't worry. I feel better, now where you offered your help. =) You and your knowledge (don't know about the texture skills though ) would be a seasonable addition to our project. However, I've already to destroy one of your dreams: Making new .gr2-models is impossible. We're gonna use what's in the game, that's how it works and how it has always been working for us. Often the only possibility is the best one. ^^

But your help is more than welcome, just register on ne.elpea.net and send me your nickname if you use another one than here. I saw that you're using AIM, do you have by any chance MSN or ICQ? I know there're people who hate msn, but it has a conference function which is really attractive for our intern team discussions. If you'd download it, I recommend not to download the newest version (Live Messenger 2009).

Hope to see ya soon, churning and digging up our threads ^^

» Modding is art! «
posted 08-23-09 05:24 PM EDT (US)     270 / 332  

»Late Roman QuadroPack«

Enjoy.

» Modding is art! «
posted 08-23-09 07:10 PM EDT (US)     271 / 332  
Those textures are great, Tilanus, but wait a sec...

Are you really going to have units like this Limitanei available only in later ages, say Industrial or Imperial (you've probably got better names)? And two kinds of very heavy cavalry? If you're not a I-want-as-many-units-as-possible-in-a-single-screenshot-fetishist like me, but say a gameplay enthousiast, that makes no sense, does it?

Well, whatever their purpose is, they look fabulous, and I really doubt what I'm more looking forward to; finishing KnB's Prologue or the first TAA release...

Keep up the good work!!!

peugeot407

|> Robert Faber (aka peugeot407)
|> Humble Creator of: Knights and Barbarians, Danish Civ Mod, Several Tutorials and the Tutorial Database
|> November 2007 Modding Contest: 2nd place (me: 360 pts, Captain_Soanso: 365 pts!)
|> January 2008 Modding Contest: first place!

When in doubt, flat out! (Colin McRae)
posted 08-23-09 08:44 PM EDT (US)     272 / 332  
Heey robert,

no no, the Cataphractus is the first unit (Age IV) and the Clibanarius is the upgrade (V). The Limitanei are currently the only upgrade (which is in Age V) of the Roman archaic unit (type 1, which is the "Voluntarius"). It serves - as you can also read it in the screenshot - as a border guard, a cheap block unit, thus it comes rather close to its original historical purpose. In late ancient rome, there were two types of legions, the Limitanei and the Comitatenses, the comitatenses were the main army, the backbone, better equipped, stronger. The Limitanei were the opposite, their task was to block the enemy as long as possible until the comitatenses would arrive. That's also the reason why it's not a barrack unit, but a TC-Tower unit.

The Ferentarius is the third and last upgrade of the Leves (II; in Age III they're Velites). So in conclusion you see three last upgrades and one first unit - the Cataphractus.

Usually I have a different concept for promo screenshots, I guess that's the reason why this one is different. You might've noticed, this one's a bit similar to your unit showcases.

Cool that you like it!

Greets Pete

» Modding is art! «

[This message has been edited by Tilanus Commodor (edited 08-23-2009 @ 08:45 PM).]

posted 08-24-09 07:36 AM EDT (US)     273 / 332  
The black-and-white theme is very KnB-ish, that's right...

So basically you are going to name all units the AoE2 way (like Spearman, Pikeman, Halberdier)? I guess that's what confused me then...

Oh, and one more question: If light cavalry, like Equestrians (or Eques or Equites, what you like) are lancers good versus infantry, what's the purpose of heavy cavalry lancers, also good versus infantry? Are they able to withstand more attacks from spearmen, or ranged cavalry, or are they just same-purpose-but-more-hp-and-attack-units???

peugeot407 (or Robert, if you like)

|> Humble Creator of: Knights and Barbarians, Danish Civ Mod, Several Tutorials and the Tutorial Database
|> November 2007 Modding Contest: 2nd place (me: 360 pts, Captain_Soanso: 365 pts!)

posted 08-24-09 10:06 AM EDT (US)     274 / 332  
Yes, all units will have unique names, however, some just get another prefix like 'Camillan Triarius' -> 'Polybian Triarius'. There are lots of differences between Equites and Cataphracti. In TAA every cavalry causes area damage (not trample) while fighting in melee, the Cataphractus has a much stronger area damage. Also the boni are different, while Equites are mainly supposed to fight Light Infantry the Cataphracti have a bonus against ALL infantry units, additionally their damage is so great that it's also hard for other cavalry units to get 'em down, so they're really made for battle. Equites only raid, protect, support.

In Age IV the Equites turn into a much more potent cavalry (you might remember the Imperial Equites shot) which gets a bit closer to the Cataphracti, however, only in view of the bonus vs. infantry. Additionally it also gets a bonus against cavalry, it's a hybrid. Nonetheless the dimension of hitpoints, ranged resistance and costs is absolutely different.

» Modding is art! «
posted 08-24-09 06:26 PM EDT (US)     275 / 332  
Ok, thanks for the wonderful explanation... I was just confused by the fact that they both wield lances, whereas in KnB, we have the Sword Rider for hunting archers and javelineers (wielding a sword means next to no impact, just a comfy high position to hack down enemies without armour) and the Lancer for charging into all kinds of infantry (as lances wielded in a charge can impale almost any armour).

Not very clear, but I hope you get the point...

peugeot407

« Previous Page  1 ··· 9 10 11 12 13 ··· 14  Next Page »
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Modding Discussions » Age Of Empires III: The Ancient Age
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames