Please login or register

Future Robot, Bonfire, Windstorm, and NewToy Games Forum

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Post New Civilization and Game Designs HERE
« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 11 12 13  Next Page »
posted 04-30-05 05:17 PM EDT (US)   
If you have suggestions for improvement of this thread, post a reply or e-mail me (llamamasterjoe@hotmail.com; subject: AoE3HListCiv).

• Follow the Code of Conduct!
  • Use the "control+f"-hotkey to explore the page.
  • Only serious civilization/game designs desings, please!
  • You have to provide a link to a thread/site/download on your civilization/game design. This thread is only meant for compilations.
  • You can 'claim' a certain civilization/game design, when you haven't finished it yet, so other people know you are working on it. This in order to prevent 35 threads on the Inuit civilization popping up at the same moment
  • If you are a modding clan or a modder, please contact the creators of the civilizations/game designs before using their work for a modpack: otherwise, it will be called piracy.

SPOTLIGHT
    This section is for game designs or civilization plans which are interesting or special in some way. Be sure to check them out! (If you are interested in nominating a design for the Spotlight, post on this thread. Feel free to self-nominate.)

Back to the Old World (by Jaguar6) A series of AoEIII civilization plans. New and exciting!

IDEAS FOR TOTALLY NEW GAMES

Game designs being designed at the moment

Meditteranean: First Empires (by Lord Iarune)
    Insight (by Empror)
    Wars of the Prophets (by Empror)
    Twilight (by Empror)
    Kanenas; Rise of a Nation (by Empror)
    Age of War (by Lord Iarune)
    Age of Mythology 2: Warriors and Crowns (by Brocktree101)

Current game designs
  • Africa (by Empror)
  • Age of Æsir (by skystrider)
  • Age of Antiquity (by Mythos_Ruler and AoE3H Civ Designers)
  • Age of Astarte (by Empror)
  • Age of Criminals (by Digitall)
  • Age of Dictators (by WartyX)
  • Age of Economics (by QwertyUiop_1)
  • Age of Emperors (by jonathan1222)
  • Age of Empires I: Age of Civilization (by Lord Berminator)
  • Age of Empires: Age of Wars (by Smertios)
  • Age of Empires: The Great War (by Awilla_The_Hun)
  • Age of Empires 1 Remake (by Underpants Man)
  • Age of Empires 1 Remake (by Dieneces)
  • Age of Empires II: Age of Kings (by Lord Berminator)
  • Age of Empires 2 Remake (by Novoa20)
  • Age Of Empires IV (by Gunner1)
  • Age of Empires 4 (by Novoa20)
  • Age of Empires 4: The Age of Superpowers (by Merlin MCLXVI)
  • Age of Empires IV: Brave New World (by clashcityrocker)
  • Age of Empires 4: Contemporary Tacts (by Marcus Varro)
  • Age of Empires 4: The Fall of Rome (by Cheruscan)
  • Age of Empires 5 (by SupaCrunk19994)
  • Age of Empires 5: The Fall of Man (by King_Ali_Skahir)
  • Age of Empires: Soldier of Fortune (by lytyrstorm)
  • Age of Epics (by (NotInvolved)
  • Age of Evolution (by Dogbert)
  • Age of Faith: The Holy Warriors (by Empror)
  • Age of Faith II: Path of the Believer (by Empror)
  • Age of Fantasy (by Hailstorm)
  • Age of Heroes (by Servant_ofKronos)
  • Age of Inventors (by skystrider)
  • Age of Legends (by GFGJ)
  • Age of Lost Civilizations (by Empror)
  • Age of Mythology 2 (by Shala and AoE3H AoM Civ Designers)
  • Age of Mythology 2 (by Clownfoot)
  • Age of Mythology 3 (by skystrider)
  • Age of Mythology 2 (by Yamato Take, Shala and AoE3H AoM Civ Designers)
  • Age of Mfecane (by GoForGoldenJarls)
  • Age of Renaissance (by GoForGoldenJarls)
  • Age of the Aegean (by Mythos_Ruler)
  • Age of the Ancestors (by Lord Iarune)
  • Age of The Empire VI (by Orowac Shelikov)
  • Age of Empires 4 (World in War) (by Arcanjo Zero and HeavenGames Forummers)
  • Age of the Far east (by Acamas)
  • Age of the New World (by Acamas)
  • Age of Empires V: Age of Space (by Shala)
  • Age of Time (by tHuNdErBoLtZ)
  • Age of World Wars (by strategy noob)
  • American Anarchy: Tribes at War (by Lord Iarune)
  • City of Gold (by KrakenBits)
  • Days of the East (by Empror)
  • Legends of Lost Earth (by Shala)
  • Lore (by skystrider)
  • Man of War (by Cassador_Chris)
  • The New USA (by NotInvolved)
  • Prehistoric: Dawn of Civilization (by Empror)
  • Sand (by NotInvolved)
  • World War 3 (by Empror)

IDEAS FOR CIVILIZATIONS WITHIN AGE OF KINGS

Civilizations being designed at the moment

Khmer (by Usac)
    Burgundian (by Usac)
    Magyar (by Usac)
    Mughal (by Usac)
    Toltec (by Usac)

Current civilizations

• Berbers (by Usac)
  • Hungarians (by Ghosthic)
  • Incans (by Novoa20)
  • Incans (by Usac)
  • Russians (by King_Ali_Skahir)
    (link)

IDEAS FOR CIVILIZATIONS WITHIN AGE OF MYTHOLOGY

• Sioux (by Hiawatha II)
  • Polynesians (by Lord Iarune)
  • Indians (by KrakenBits)
  • Polish (by KrakenBits)

Current civilizations

• Aborigines (by Yamato Take)
  • AKS (by Mash_Kig_Sima)
  • Ainu (by skystrider)
  • Atlanteans (by Empror)
  • Aztecs (by Compa_Mighty, Rodya_255 and Zalpacuiztli)
  • Babylonians (by SilentScreams)
  • Carthaginians (by Yamato Take)
  • Celts (by SilentScreams)
  • Celts (by chosenone)
  • Chinese (by Natus)
  • Egyptians (by Empror)
  • Etruscans (by skystrider)
  • Filipino (by Yamato Take)
  • Finns (by Yamato Take)
  • Hawaiians (by skystrider)
  • Hebrew (by chosenone)
  • Hi'anger (by Mad Jacks)
  • Hindus (by Thot_Celay)
  • Hittite (by skystrider)
  • Inca (by GoForGoldenJarls)
  • Indians (by chosenone)
  • Inuit (by Yamato Take)
  • Iroquois (by skystrider)
  • Japanese (by Sp3ctre)
  • Japanese (by Zappos)
  • Japanese (by chosenone)
  • Java (by skystrider)
  • Koreans (by skystrider)
  • Maori (by ScreamingHippo)
  • Mayans (by Underpants Man)
  • Minoans (by skystrider)
  • Mongols (by skystrider)
  • Native Americans (by Yamato Take)
  • Norse (by skystrider)
  • Nubians (by Yamato Take)
  • Persians (by skystrider)
  • Romans (by Theris264)
  • Slavs (by Mahdi)
  • Slavs (by skystrider)
  • Sumerians (by just_attack)
  • Taino (by Yamato Take)
  • The Valar (by Yooda)
  • Tibetans (by Yamato Take)
  • Tupi-Guarani (by TatsuEnguia)
  • Vanir (by TheJohnmeister)
  • Welsh (by skystrider)
  • Zulu (by skystrider)

IDEAS FOR CIVILIZATIONS WITHIN AGE OF EMPIRES III

Civilizations/X-pack Ideas
  • African civs (by Coach shogun 20)
  • Back to the Old World Expansion (by Jaguar6)
  • Chinese (by Cy Marlayne)
  • Colonial Resistance (by CheTzu)
  • Italian States (by Jaguar6)
  • Italy (by Custergrant)
  • Japanese (by Yamato Take)
  • ori (by NotInvolved)
  • Mughal Empire (Yamato Take)
  • Native Races (by Yamato Take)
  • Northern War Expansion (by SupaCrunk19994)
  • Opium Wars (by Innovan)
  • Polish (by SilentScreams)
  • Pirates (by ThEOldCoW)
  • Revolutionaries (by Novoa20)
  • Sweden (by ofaloaf)
  • United States (by King_Ali_Skahir)
  • X-Pack Civ Ideas (by Devon_)
  • X-Pack Civ Ideas (by Novoa20)

Current Civilizations

BEGINNER'S GUIDE TO CIVILIZATION DESIGNING (Geared towards AoM)

Keep in mind, that this is a guide for beginners, so if you have designed one or two proper civilizations yourself, this guide will not be of much use to you.
    In this guide I will try to put some emphasis on the
    why and the research part of the how, for both are, in my opinion, the most important aspect of civilization designing.

Why?

You should always consider why you are doing this, because you have to be prepared that only a few dedicated civilization designers will read your civilization design.
    Although you will end up in the above list when you have designed a civilization, do not expect too much enthousiasm: there are few other civilization designers out there, and your purpose should not even be to try to make people think what a genius you are on civilization designing. Nobody cares.
    Rather, the best way to consider such a design is as a practice, a practice for doing research and learning the basic principles of translating this research into gameplay. I suggest you make one or two civilization designs, and if they are good, go on and start to make your own game ideas and try to convince a modding clan (or maybe a gamescompany ) to turn your ideas into a modpack or game. But beware! You have to be really talented and be willing to put a lot of time into your projects in order to achive such.
    But, not everything needs a purpose. It can also be plain fun to design the civilization you wanted for Age of Mythology (or Age of Empires).

Step 1: research

This is the most important part of civilization designing: research, research and more research. When you do proper research, you will find out the actual civilization designing is far less time consuming than this step. (although often both steps -research and the actual designing- take place at the same time, and not after each other)
    Good research is time consuming, and can often be frustrating, but if you want to design your own civilizations you have no choice.
    Before giving you some sources you could use for your research, I will first give you some general tips on researching itself. There are two ways to do research: the first way is like: go to Google, type the name of the civilization you want to design, and read the first ten hits. This, obviously, is the wrong way. The other way is far more time consuming, but gives you far better result. The most important thing you need to know about this is that your sources can be untrustworthy or biased. The Internet gives you the most and easiest results, but also the least trustworthy: everyone can say anything they want on the Internet. If you run into a two sources saying something completely different on a subject, decide which one is the most thrustworthy, or do more research.
    Some good sources of information are:
  • Your history teacher: he/she can give you good sources (books, websites, etcetera), and he/she will give you sources you can trust.
  • Other persons you know of, that know something about history: if any of your family members or friends is a historian, or knows a lot about history, consult him/her.
  • Your local library: Encyclopedias, history books, links to good websites and books on history, you can find all those in your local libray. But beware! Consult trustworthy books: encyclopedias, books written by historians, and so on. Not books like: "The Middle Ages -a children's encyclopedia" (although you can find some interesting things in books intended for children, you are more likely to find what you are looking for in a more adult level book).
  • The Internet: As been said before, beware of information on the Internet! There are a lot of good information sources there, but even more really bad ones. Some good sites are:
  • Pantheon.org: a very good site on a lot of mythologies around the world
  • History.com: a site that gives comprehensive information on world history. You will not have much use for this site when doing in-depth research, but it can give you some general ideas of the civilization you want to design and its history, and it gives really good references to books on the subject.
  • The National Geographic Society: a very respective organisation, which provides lots of information on cultures all over the world and their history. If you know someone who is subscribed to the National Geographic Magazine, well this is a wonderful resource.
  • AoMH's very own mythology forum: this forum is visited by quite some mythology fanatics, so maybe they have some answers to your questions.
  • HeavenGames' very own history forum: this forum is visited by quite some history fanatics, so maybe they have some answers to your questions.
  • Wikipedia: THE online encyclopedia: by and for users, this is one of the most non-specialized encyclopedias on the web.</ol>

Step 2: translating the research into game elements

I am really sorry, but for this, I cannot give some simple tips: you need to be creative and have talent. Just make sure you do not include some overpowered options like: Godpower Apocalypse: destroys all your opponents units.
    To get some general ideas and inspiration, again, see the above list.
    Keep in mind though, that you want to design an Age of Mythology civilization, so consider the following:
  • a unique resource gather system
  • a unique way of getting favour
  • a unique way of getting heroes
  • a unique Titan
  • military starts in second Age
  • fortress-like stucture and almost all military units in third Age
    And if you are designing an Age of Empires civ, make sure:
  • civ has the same power level (not overpowered or underpowered)
  • unique units/techs/buildings (if its going to be exactly the same, why even bother)
  • a fair and balanced economy and military
    But the most important thing, in my opinion, is trying to 'break' the outline for civilizations as provided by EnsembleStudios: the best example of this is the multiple Godpowers for the Atlanteans in AoM's oficial expansion pack. Make sure though that your changes remain subtle: removing or adding an Age for a civilization, for example, will make that your civilization is no longer an Age of (whatever) civilization.

Step 3: presentation

In this section I will deal with how you should organise your thread or website on your civilization, which can be more important than you think: if you have the most wonderful design, but a poor presentation, no-one will read it.
  • Use counters or weaknesess against other civilizations to make it sound fair to fit in with each other.
  • When using images, use simple, conceptual images, so people can see how the unit would be like in the game. For some good examples on this, see Sp3ctre's Japanese civilization.
  • Put in some references to history, so people can easily see that it fits with history why you gave a certain unit a certain weakness or bonus. Good examples of this can be found here.
  • Use colours and different letter types to organise things, but do not overdo them.
  • Provide some technology trees, preferabbly at the beginning of you thread, so people can see in one view what it is all about.
  • Use the whisper format:
    [w](...)[/w]
    This way it is more easier to read, and people can scroll trough your text faster.

Step 4: you are never finished!

When your civilization outline is finished, expect some comments from fellow civilization designers. Use them to improve your design.

Thanks to Theris, who used to monitor this post.

[This message has been edited by skystrider (edited 12-02-2008 @ 08:30 PM).]

• Replies:
    posted 09-29-08 01:48 PM EDT (US)     276 / 328  
    Sand!? Really! Thanks, I'm glad that I invented something that would be worth making.

Anyway, you never know - someone from these forums could get into games design and have a mountain of ideas at their fingertips.

Oh, and just so you know, I am designing a big community project which hopefully will help tide the forum over until either Microsoft or ES's new company make another AoE-like game. It will be similar to AoM, but with many more civs and features. Everyone can design as many civs as they want for it, similar to Age of Antiquity.

[This message has been edited by NotInvolved (edited 09-30-2008 @ 12:02 PM).]

posted 10-13-08 01:48 PM EDT (US)     277 / 328  
    Can I join in with this? I think that I have an idea for a World War 1 Game, but I don't know how to get links up or anything.

Do I make a thread, start writing, and get a link up? Or do I do something else?

[This message has been edited by Awilla_The_Hun (edited 10-13-2008 @ 02:24 PM).]

posted 10-13-08 03:20 PM EDT (US)     278 / 328  
    Sounds like you have the right idea. Just make a separate thread, and I'll link to it here when you are done.
    posted 10-18-08 10:31 AM EDT (US)     279 / 328  
    Hey... My name is Leonard, 16, Israel, and i am kind of new to this community, even thaugh i look at some of the threads a lot. For more then 8 years now, i think, my dream was to make computer games. It might sound stuiped, but that was my dream and i followd it loyally, even thaugh i may not even be very good at it.
    Well, the topic of this post is this: I want to post a very embryonic game design i currently have in this forum. As much as i tried i could not find a rules thread or something like htat, so i hope i don't irritate anyone by asking: Where and how should i do it? Is it okay to create new threads for something like that? Or should it be a reply within an existing one?

I would love to get an answear.

Thanks anyway, and good day,

Leonard.

PS: Is there any kind of interest in an alternative history fantasy game who drwas much inspiration from books like "Jonathan strange & Mr Norrel" By Susana Clarck?
    posted 10-19-08 10:40 PM EDT (US)     280 / 328  
    Hey Leonard, welcome aboard!
    You can definitely create your own threads on this forum. If your design is detailed enough and understandable, I will post a link to it here. Good luck with this.
    I am unfamiliar with the works of Susana Clarck, but I'm sure somebody is. The internet is a huge place.
    posted 11-25-08 03:22 PM EDT (US)     281 / 328  
    We should get a ww1-ww2 AOE4
    dont u ppl realise how cool it would be to send slow, armoured tanks towards the enemy while you bomb submarines with biplanes and field guns. Then send an army of trucks armed with vickers guns over the hills into a hidden base and have shootouts and things etc???

KEEP
    CALM
    AND
    CARRY
    ON
    ≤≤≤≤≤See my YouTube channel for some crazy pointless crap!≥≥≥≥≥
    posted 12-02-08 02:07 PM EDT (US)     282 / 328  
    Age of Empires IV
    Contemporary Tactics

This RTS game is based in the time period stretching from 1880 to 2008. It has 7 nations to date:

United States of America: Early on focuses on masses of cheap units, later changes to more expensive, stronger units.

British Empire/United Kingdom: Has a decreased population limite, but increased ship build limits and power.

German Empire/Germany: Extremely powerful early units, but lags behind in the late game.

Russia/Soviet Union/Russian Federation: Uses masses of cheap units to overwelm the enemy.

Japanese Empire/Japan: Powerful navy (expecialy aircraft carriers) and air force.

Afghanistan: Hit and run style units that wont last long in a direct confrontation. Increased oil gather rates.

China/Peoples Republic of China: Good economy and cheap units. Has the weakest units in the game, but an increased population limit.

Each of wich has a completely (or nearly completely) unique set of units and nation effects.

This game spans 5 ages:
    Post-Industrial
    Modern
    Atomic
    Cold War era
    Information

For more information, check out the thread that is linked to the title. This game is a work in progress, and the thread is not complete as of yet.

EDIT: Lobster, just read your previous post. Looks like your dream has come true! lol

"Immaturity is the incapacity to use one's intelligence without the guidance of another.”

Immanual Kant

[This message has been edited by Marcus Varro (edited 12-02-2008 @ 02:08 PM).]

posted 12-18-08 01:22 PM EDT (US)     283 / 328  
    I was looking forward to a AOE4:The Great War, but Ensemble closing I guess our only hope is that they farm it out I guess.

Pears: ok i downloaded a few scenerios and it says place the mp3 folders in the "sound" folder but i cant find the sound folder any where please help!
    Elpea: Your sound folder is right next to your fart sounds folder.
    posted 01-26-09 05:15 AM EDT (US)     284 / 328  
    I am starting to form some solid ideas about a close future RTS that is... Well, similiar enught to AOE to post in here, i guess. If I ever mangage to cogulate the whole thing more througly, I will post it.
    posted 02-16-09 05:56 PM EDT (US)     285 / 328  
    I'm currently thinking of an idea for an AoE I remake. Will post it here later.
    posted 03-26-09 12:47 PM EDT (US)     286 / 328  
    Age of Empires IV: Four Years' Blood (The Great War): THIS REPLY HAS BEEN EDITED A DAY AFTER IT WAS MADE. IT HAS BEEN POSTED AS A NEW TOPIC IN THIS THREAD.

[This message has been edited by Budada (edited 03-26-2009 @ 11:24 PM).]

posted 03-29-09 02:02 AM EDT (US)     287 / 328  
    I'm outlining a steampunkish alternate history type game right now. Haven't posted here in forever.

Old Bachus, Napoleon of Spam turned half decent forumer
    >>Winner of Most Improved AoMH Forumer '09<<
    ~If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it isn't in Danish, thank King Alfred.~
    >>My work<<

"Once you've stooped to Cash4Gold type stuff, you no longer are a celebrity." - Mozzy
    posted 03-29-09 04:04 AM EDT (US)     288 / 328  
    Steampunk sounds interesting. Are we going to see things like steam airships and steam tanks (The Americans tried this during WW1, but the war ended before it could be trialled)?
    posted 03-30-09 02:15 PM EDT (US)     289 / 328  
    I alwayes thaught a game should be made that happens in the RON:ROL universe that focuses entirely on the Vinci city state wars.
    There is something so... so... AWSOME!!11 about clockwork robots with tesla coil guns, zeppelins that shoot macross missiles, and gas mask wearing infantry with psaudo italian names that lob mustard gas at each other while fighting with a saber and a muskat.
    posted 03-30-09 04:15 PM EDT (US)     290 / 328  
    That's the sort of thing I'd like to avoid. Zepplins are fair enough given that they were around pre 20th century, but helicopters aren't, steam engines just don't develop the sort of compact power that's needed to make them useful.

That doesn't mean things have to be crude of course, after all Hiram Maxim (inventor of the Machine Gun) built a steam engine powerful enough to lift an aircraft (the aircraft itself was unstable, but the fact that it produced enough lift to get airborne is the thing).
    posted 03-31-09 02:10 PM EDT (US)     291 / 328  
    But... Is not illogical psaudo scientific 19th century-ish awsome the whole point of steam punk?
    Well, whatever. I like the genere. It would be interesting to see your game.
    posted 03-31-09 02:59 PM EDT (US)     292 / 328  
    Steampunk sounds interesting. Are we going to see things like steam airships and steam tanks (The Americans tried this during WW1, but the war ended before it could be trialled)?
    You betcha. It will span aproximately 1845-1900.
    I alwayes thaught a game should be made that happens in the RON:ROL universe that focuses entirely on the Vinci city state wars.
    There is something so... so... AWSOME!!11 about clockwork robots with tesla coil guns, zeppelins that shoot macross missiles, and gas mask wearing infantry with psaudo italian names that lob mustard gas at each other while fighting with a saber and a muskat.
    Not quite like that. It will be very inspired by Da Vinci, Verne, Wells, Edison, and Tesla.
    That's the sort of thing I'd like to avoid. Zepplins are fair enough given that they were around pre 20th century, but helicopters aren't, steam engines just don't develop the sort of compact power that's needed to make them useful.

That doesn't mean things have to be crude of course, after all Hiram Maxim (inventor of the Machine Gun) built a steam engine powerful enough to lift an aircraft (the aircraft itself was unstable, but the fact that it produced enough lift to get airborne is the thing).
    No helicopters. There will be baloons, ironclads, airships, submarines, and stuff like that. Clockpunk mecha might be intersting. There will also be plenty of normal units as well.
    But... Is not illogical psaudo scientific 19th century-ish awsome the whole point of steam punk?
    Well, whatever. I like the genere. It would be interesting to see your game.
    Pretty much. I'm only having stuff that actualy apeared in pre 1900 literature. It'll take place in a world where the CSA won with various minor changes.

~If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it isn't in Danish, thank King Alfred.~
    >>My work<<

"Once you've stooped to Cash4Gold type stuff, you no longer are a celebrity." - Mozzy
    posted 03-31-09 03:06 PM EDT (US)     293 / 328  
    posted 03-31-09 05:06 PM EDT (US)     294 / 328  
    Where a dude travels back in time to Gettysburg and gives the Rebs AK-47s?

>>My work<<

posted 03-31-09 05:48 PM EDT (US)     295 / 328  
    Depends on whether it's a genuine thought exercise on the none-electric world, or just light entertainment. The latter would be allowed to have obviously fictional mechanisms (similar to the Vince in RoL), the former, not. Of course, sticking to proven science this doesn't prevent some rather interesting ideas, like miniaturised Babbage computers and steam tanks and possibly even aircraft (Hiram Maxim was trying one, but the design itself was unstable). There's also the possibility of (like in Discworld) complex semaphore systems.

If you want a unique game though, what about an alternate history based on the civilisations in antiquity developing technology further than they did (eg, the aeolipile concept is developed into a proper steam engine, Archimedes' work is taken further, and the Baghdad Battery proves to be the Babylonian's first step).

[This message has been edited by MatthewII (edited 03-31-2009 @ 06:20 PM).]

posted 03-31-09 06:20 PM EDT (US)     296 / 328  
    howabout a steam computer?

organ gunz are chuck norris daddy!
    posted 03-31-09 06:40 PM EDT (US)     297 / 328  
    I don't see why not, this is after all steampunk, so a steam-powered Babbagesque computer ought to fit in perfectly. This would probably come in as a technology, working similar to how Ballistics did in AoE.
    posted 04-01-09 03:20 AM EDT (US)     298 / 328  
    As ROL's Advecto Diaboli I would like to mention that the Vinci could construct a huge, tower like "Calculator Engien" that seemed to run on steam, clockworks and blue lightning(Actually like most Vinci technology). It worked like a market, allowing the Vinci player to exchange resources. I alwayes figured it was because the calculator engien predicts subtle economic fluctuations, thus hel[ing merchents work much more efficiently.
    posted 04-01-09 05:30 AM EDT (US)     299 / 328  
    An idea not without real groundings, though the real-world MONIAC used hydraulics rather than mechanics.
    posted 04-01-09 03:18 PM EDT (US)     300 / 328  
    Depends on whether it's a genuine thought exercise on the none-electric world, or just light entertainment. The latter would be allowed to have obviously fictional mechanisms (similar to the Vince in RoL), the former, not. Of course, sticking to proven science this doesn't prevent some rather interesting ideas, like miniaturised Babbage computers and steam tanks and possibly even aircraft (Hiram Maxim was trying one, but the design itself was unstable). There's also the possibility of (like in Discworld) complex semaphore systems.
    It's a genuine thought exercise on the non-eletric world. Babbage computors will work. There have been many such devices, though they really aren't computors in the modern sense. Nothing like what we're all using right now. Some people take steampunk to a truly redicoulous level. Much of the time they where these wierd costumes, combining sci-fi with Victorian. I want mine to look strictly Victorian. I do plan for there to be an X-pack focusing on space travel. There will be an alien civ that will be like the Martians from War of the Worlds.
    f you want a unique game though, what about an alternate history based on the civilisations in antiquity developing technology further than they did (eg, the aeolipile concept is developed into a proper steam engine, Archimedes' work is taken further, and the Baghdad Battery proves to be the Babylonian's first step).
    I'm a big fan of Ancient Discoeries. Has anyone watched it? It's an awesome proram on the History Channel about various technoligical advancements made by long lost civilizations. Very amazing show and rather astonishing at times. Yes, I plan for it to use different inventions by past creators, this will be in a world where there dreams are ultimately fufilled.
    As ROL's Advecto Diaboli I would like to mention that the Vinci could construct a huge, tower like "Calculator Engien" that seemed to run on steam, clockworks and blue lightning(Actually like most Vinci technology). It worked like a market, allowing the Vinci player to exchange resources. I alwayes figured it was because the calculator engien predicts subtle economic fluctuations, thus hel[ing merchents work much more efficiently.
    I don't want anything like that.

Civs I plan to have are: United States, British Empire, France, The Confedorate States of America, as well as a few fictional countries clearly modeled on a certain real one(s). The reason for there being made up ones as a stand-in for real ones is because there's many that would be interesting, but you can't have them all so combining the best of similair ones is a good idea. What's more, this helps it being in an alternate earth that has signifant geographic strayings from realitly not just technoligical ones. I want there to be a Central American based civ, an Eastern European one, you get the idea. Other real ones might appear in the campiagn(s) but won't be playable.

Any suggestions on the title?

>>My work<<

« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 11 12 13  Next Page »
    Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Future Robot, Bonfire, Windstorm, and NewToy Games Forum » Post New Civilization and Game Designs HERE
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames